Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How do I change my legal last name in Minnesota?

I've been married for 5 years, and I have now decided to take my husbands last name. How do I change my last name? I'm also from Sweden and have a green card. Will that complicate my name-change? Can it cause problems with the INS?





Please help! The more detailed you describe the steps I need to take the better!


THANKS!

How do I change my legal last name in Minnesota?
You will need to gather all the documentation to support your name change; marriage certificate, INS documentation, etc.





Then, you notify everyone with whom you have official documentation (state issued ID, driver's license, social security card, etc.) of your new last name. Be sure to notify your mortgage company (if any), credit cards, etc.





There won't be any problems with the INS. When you change your last name, just notify the INS of your name change.





Hope this helps.
Reply:You need to get a lawyer since changing names can take a lot of legality not only in Minnesota but in all other countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment