Friday, November 20, 2009

What are the legalities of giving my baby a different last name than mine?

I am pregnant and single. The father is nowhere in the picture. I was raised by my mom and only had a passing relationship with my father although I have his last name. I would like to give my baby my mother's last name since I feel that is the family we really belong to. Is that legal?

What are the legalities of giving my baby a different last name than mine?
In most states it's perfectly legal. Tom Hayden and Jane Fonda named their son Troy Garity. Why? So he wouldn't be burden with his parents names.
Reply:I think in most states you can give your baby whatever name you wish. The only thing that HAS to be on the birth certificate that you cannot change are the names of the parents.





Call the Office of Vital Statistics in your state and ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment