Thursday, April 15, 2010

What is the original spelling of my last name Baldemor from AUSTRIA?

My late father told me that the original spelling of his last name Baldemor had a European spelling. It was of AUSTRIAN origin %26amp; some of the letters had an "oomlat" on them. His father was Austrian married to his Filipino mother.

What is the original spelling of my last name Baldemor from AUSTRIA?
That's "umlaut"-pronounced "oomlout".


It looks like two little dots over a vowel.


It tells you to pronounce the vowel under it like "er" while pursing your lips like you've just sent an air kiss.


It was probably over the "o" in Baldemor. (So Baldemor was probably pronounced something like "Baldemyoor".)


I believe that you'd have a fairly good chance of learning more about your family name via the free Ellis Island website. (or through some of their links)


No comments:

Post a Comment